A block captain should be designated for ever 10-15 homes, and they should be directly involved with their immediate neighbors. The block captains responsibilities may include:
- Visiting and inviting new residents to join, as well as notifying them of meetings and training sessions.
- Acting as liaison between block residents and the Coordinator.
- Establishing a "telephone chain" by compiling and distributing a current list of names, addresses, and telephone numbers of block residents.
- Establishing the "Operation Identification" program.
- Contacting each neighbor to discuss possible crime problems, requirements for assistance, and suggestions for program improvement.