From the Federal Trade Commission
Deter- identity thieves by safeguarding your information.
- Shred your financial documents and paperwork with personal information before you throw it away.
- Protect your Social Security number. Don't carry your SS card in your wallet or write your number on your checks.
- Don't give out personal information on the phone. Through the mail, or over the Internet unless you know who you are dealing with.
- Don't use an obvious password like your birth date, you mother's maiden name, or the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Keep your personal information in a secure place at home, especially if you have roommates, employ outside help, or are having work done in your house.